Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Male and Female companionship

On page 271, the book reports that "Men routinely report that their greatest (and sometimes only) confidantes are their wives, whereas married women often talk to close friends and relatives." I was really surprised with this because I got the impression that men needed their time with their friends to still feel manly. Also, this summer I helped my volleyball coach with a painting job and he gave me some advice. He has been married to his wife for over 15 years and they have no children, so I considered him a reliable source. He told me after I get married to keep my "girlfriends" because as much as men love to spend time with their wives, they need that time to get away with their male friends.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the book was more trying to stress the emotional side of the relationship rather than friendships in general. It would most likely be far more unlikely for a guy to share his feelings when hanging out with his other friends, whereas women in general are more open about their feelings with each other. That was what I got from the book anyhow, though my interpretation could be totally of as well.
    Karl Wahlen

    ReplyDelete