Friday, October 28, 2011

Costs/Benefits of Having Children

Someone in class mentioned that we have to weigh the costs and benefits of having children for ourselves as well as for the children that we will raise. On the Tyra Show, pregnant teenagers were interviewed and were asked why they wanted to have their baby. Their motive was mainly because they wanted someone to love them, so they solved the problem by having a child which would always love them. One of the doctors analyzing the teenagers' actions said that this creates a cycle because the teenager will be unable to give the child enough love since they will be raising their child on their own. They will try to provide for the child by working, but that makes them unable to give the child the attention they need. Therefore, that child will have to seek alternatives of getting love such as having their own babies.
Furthermore, on Grey's Anatomy, Izzy Stevens grew up in a trailer park, got pregnant, but chose to give that baby up for adoption. Izzy became a doctor and her child is living in a family that is able to provide for all of her needs. Izzy had a patient that also lived in a trailer park, like she did, and is pregnant. This girl was very smart, so Izzy brought to her attention that she could give the child up and give it a better life than what she will be able to give to it. I know this is just a TV show, but I think parents have to think in this way when raising their child: "Does my child deserve a better life than I am able to give them?"

1 comment:

  1. I think it all depends on what you believe in. Adoption definitely is a good choice, personally I wouldn't choose adoption. I wouldn't be able to give my child up, but I'd be willing to sacrifice my life for my child. If you're not willing to change your life then I would say yes, give you child up for adoption. If I ever did give my child up it would be to someone within my family or a very close friend where I know I'd be able to maintain a relationship with the child and have a better chance of being a parent to that child eventually. Izzy had dreams of being a doctor in which she'd have to most likely give up her dream if she kept her child. I think it depends on your situation and what your personal morals are.

    ReplyDelete