Saturday, October 29, 2011

Summary
Parenting is a major responsibility and becoming a parent will alter your life forever. Parenting has many pros and cons including role conflict, role strain, unrealistic role expectations, decreased authority, increased responsibility, and high parenting standards. Parenting varies by many factors as well including social class, race or ethnicity, age of the parents, and family size. The parenting styles and discipline that parents use vary from the authoritarian style, permissive style, authoritative style, and uninvolved style. These styles involve disciplines that parents must determine which will be the most effective for their children. The two examples explained in the chapter were verbal punishment and corporal punishment. While there are many other ways to discipline children, the entire chapter encompasses how parents raise their children and how it impacts their lives forever.

New, Interesting, or Unusual Items Learned
I found the chart on on Pg. 321 very interesting when mothers and fathers were compared in the past. I also found the chart on Pg. 326 about the percentage of children who are read to by race or ethnicity of a child very interesting. It's odd in my eyes that white children are read to the least because I was always read to when I was growing up.

Question/Concern
What are the effects on a child whose parents both work and hire outside help from when they are a baby to a teenager? Do these children respect their parents differently than the caregiver or is there any life-changing impact at all?

Brian Bitner

3 comments:

  1. I think you raised an extremely interesting question. While I don't think that I have the right insight into the answer because I grew up with a stay at home mom, while it was my dad who worked. But in my opinion I believe that children who do grow up with a nanny or grow up going to day care don't necessarily disrespect their parents, but they may view their parents as less of a an authoritative figure. They may view their nanny and the person who is taking care of them during the day as more of an authoritative figure than their parents. I think this is a great question to ask in class so we can get the people who did grow up in day care and with nannies their opinions.


    Maria Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both my parents had been working full time when I was growing up. During my first year, a nanny took care of me and my older brother, later my brother started the elementary school and I started the daycare (cost-efficiency). All I remember is we would get up, get dressed and everybody would go to their work/school/daycare, then I would play, nap, and eat at the daycare. Later either parent would come and pick me up and we would go back home.

    My mom was the absolute authority. Honestly, I don't remember the nanny at all or the teachers at the daycare, but I remember that my mom was the one I respected most and loved more than anybody else. Therefore I don't agree with Maria that children may view the caretaker as the authority, somehow children know who is their parent and who gives decisions and has the authority.

    Going back to the original question, I still viewed my mom as the ultimate authority during my teenage years and later. I don't think I disrespected my parents any more than my friends who grew up with stay-at-home mothers, so I don't think that a childcare arrangement has any impact on how children view or respect their parents. I think what impacts a child's behavior toward his/her parents is the parenting style. Just because a child is taken care by somebody else during the day does not mean that the parents will be permissive or uninvolved.

    Coming back to whether there is a life-changing impact at all, I think I got used to a daily routine early in life. In addition, I believe growing in a daycare setting gave me a sense of autonomy and self-sufficiency. In addition, growing up with career-oriented parents gives the child a different mindset by itself (independent of childcare arrangements), for me working mother is the norm and the idea of a stay-at-home parent feels very different (no offense to anybody).

    Also, my son is a day-care child. He is very social and knows manners and how to share etc, even though he is an only child. And just like me, he is used to his routine and in the mornings he looks forward to go to the daycare to see his friends.

    Eser Y.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't speak from personal experience, but I think that there definitely is a difference. I think that the child misses out on quality time with the parent which could result in less respect for the parents. The less time you spend building with a relationship with a parent, the less you'll be able to relate to the parent I think the less you'll respect them because you opinions on life will vary, especially if you haven't taken the proper amount of time to raise your child. However, I think that someone that hires help can take the time to maintain the relationship, it's not impossible if the parent makes a true effort to do so.

    ReplyDelete