Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chapter 10 Blog

Summary:

This chapter begins with reasons why people marry, both good and bad. It then talks about the general engagement and marriage process, kinds of marriages people decide to have, like total versus devitalized marriages, and the many effects of marriage. Some effects are that wives are less healthy in general and, according to some, the fact that someone is married makes their life better. The book also goes into the roles of a marriage and how people in a couple must divide all the new work including chores, balancing work with home, caring for children, and how gender plays a part. As marriages go on, they tend to get better. Couples who make it to old age together have few problems and are more or less very satisfied, especially in retirement, but health problems can hurt a marriage. The second focus of the chapter is on communication. Good communication is defined and differences between the genders and what they usually do to get points across are discussed, as well as the problems that arise because of them. Next, the book lists the big things couples often fight about, like money and work division in the house, and how the issues are solved. The chapter ends with suggestions on improving couples’ communication.

New/Interesting Material:

Something I found interesting was that the section on in-laws’ relationships was focused on the ways in-laws fight and how they can create tension in the family and also what couples can do to fix that tension. Sure they can create problems, but I feel like the idea that in-laws are always terrible should be a myth, which is what my question is about.

Question:

What does the class think about in-laws? Are most of them really that bothersome? Personally most of mine are just fine. Example: three of my cousins are recently married and I can only think of maybe 3 people out of all the in-laws I know who are unpleasant/humbugs, but we don’t even see them that often. Maybe I’m just fortunate though.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think most in-laws are abrasive, evil people who can't let go of their children like they're portrayed in movies, comedies, etc. There are some cases where the in-laws and a certain spouse don't get along. I think as long as in-laws stay within their boundaries and spouses understand the relationship their partner has with their parents then everything will work out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot goes into how we interact and interpret our in-laws. I believe every person can be good or bad and it all really depends on the situation. I have four in-laws who married into my family and I have had no problems and have actually bonded with them to the point that they feel like family. As far as mother/father in-laws I believe that they have a right to be skeptical about whoever they want until proven wrong. In any case it is all circumstantial but to solved any problems with the right communication tactics I believe anybody can get through any situations. I also agree that in-laws are usually not as negative as they are portrayed in movies/TV.

    ReplyDelete