Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Transhumanism

The Wikipedia article on transhumanism was not the first time that I have come across this topic.  Freshman year I was assigned Bill Joy's article "Why the Future Doesn't Need Us" for an English class and it really opened my eyes to the negative effects of technology that is far too progressive and advanced.  However, I have mixed feelings about transhumanism.  We are a generation that is obsessed with technology and how it can better our lives, but do we really want to turn into a piece of technology ourselves?  Of course it would be great to finally have cures to diseases such as cancer and to be able to "enhance human intellectual, physical, and physiological capacities", but how far is too far?  And of course there is the concern that transhumanism would eliminate any type of individualism or creativity.  When reading articles like this I can't help but imagine a world similar to that of "I, Robot"or "Nineteen Eighty-Four" and those are worlds that I definitely do not want to be apart of.

No comments:

Post a Comment