Monday, November 14, 2011

Chapter 15

Summary
Chapter fifteen examines separation and divorce. Separation typically involves four phases:
  1. Preseparation
  2. Early separation
  3. Midseparation
  4. Late separation
Separation can also have several possible outcomes including reconciliation, divorce, or separation without divorce. Even though divorce rates have steadily decreased since 1990, about 45% of marriages end in divorce. The divorce process is long and is typically made up of six stages: emotional, legal, economic, coparental, community, and psychic. People divorce for a number of reasons and variables. Macro-level reasons for divorce include the accessibility and affordability of divorce laws, religious institutions allowing divorce, the economy, military service, a cultural acceptance of divorce, decreased social integration, and advancing technology. Demographic variables include having divorced parents, marrying at an early age, premarital pregnancy, premarital cohabitation, the presence of children, gender, race and ethnicity, social class, a lack of religiosity, and a couples' lack of similarities. Micro-level reasons include unrealistic expectation, infidelity, conflict and abuse, and a lack of communication.
Divorce can have numerous physical, emotional, and psychological effects on the couple as well as economic and financial instability. Families that go through a divorce are often forced to deal with difficult custody battles. There are three major types of custody: sole, split, and joint. Most often, mothers receive sole custody.
Divorce affects children in a number of ways. Ineffective parenting, economic hardship, and parental conflict and hostility are just a few of the stressors that a child may experience after divorce. However, divorce may also benefit the child/children if it allows them to be free from an "unhappy, frustrating, and stressful situation".


What I Learned
Originally, I had thought that the main reason nearly half of all marriages end in divorce was due to the growing acceptance of divorce in the American culture. However, I learned that there are actually a number of reasons for the rise and decline of divorce.

Question/Concern
Would you consider any of the alternatives to divorce, such as counseling and marital therapy, mediation, or collaborative divorce?

3 comments:

  1. I think if I had the money (the book said it costs $100/hour minimum) then I would definitely try it. However, I think a lot of people are not open to this option because they are afraid that losing all of that money will place more stress on the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I knew my marriage was in trouble I would choose marital therapy.
    The reason why I would choose marital therapy is because I feel that a therapist would help the couple work through their problems, give the couple relationship exercises (for example to work on their communication skills), and I think a therapist would help the couple realize where their problems are and have a better understanding on how to work through their problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would choose mediation. I feel that the problem is that people after arguing for so much just want to be right and are going to fight with the other person until they are proven so. This eliminates any form of open communication. I feel that there needs to be someone there to say you are both right and here is why or you both are in the wrong and the argument can end.I feel like that with most things that could be solved if there was communication.

    ReplyDelete