Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chapter 16

Summary
Chapter sixteen examines remarriages and stepfamilies. Stepfamilies are defined as households in which two adults marry or cohabit and at least one of the children is from a previous marriage. Stepfamilies and remarriage are extremely common in the United States. However, the remarriage process is often much more complicated than a first marriage or a divorce and typically includes six steps.
1. Emotional Remarriage
2. Psychic Remarriage
3. Community Remarriage
4. Parental Remarriage
5. Economic Remarriage
6. Legal Remarriage
Remarriages also differ from first marriages in that they change the family composition and role expectations as well as often increase resources. Although stepfamilies often vary in composition, there are three basic types: mother-stepfather families, father-stepmother families, and joint stepfamilies. There are also twelve typical characteristics that set stepfamilies apart from nuclear families.
1. A complex family structure
2. Coping with unique tasks
3. More stress and conflict
4. Integration typically takes years
5. Relationships that abruptly end or quickly begin
6. Continuous transitions and adjustments
7. Less cohesion
8. A need for great flexibility
9. Unrealistic expectations
10. A lack of shared family history
11. Loyalty conflicts
12. Ambiguous family roles
Although the merging of two households often creates numerous issues, remarriage and stepparenting can offer many rewards. For example, remarraied couples often feel closer to their than they did to their former spouses and feel that the communication is better. In addition the children often benefit from having a well-functioning family with minimal conflict. They may also benefit from having stepsiblings by gaining "more experience in interacting, cooperationg, and learning to negotiate with peers".
What I Learned
Coming from a nuclear family, I learned a lot from this chapter. I never realized all of the challenges that stepfamilies face on a daily basis. For example,the constant transitions and adjustments that stepfamilies face as well as the lack of stability would be extremely difficult on children and teens; I couldn't imagine what that must be like in addition to coping with a divorce.
Question/Concern
If you were to get a divorce, do you think you would be open to remarriage and stepparenting? Or would you rather not risk the chance of having to go through a second divorce?

2 comments:

  1. I have never been through a divorce, and my opinion might change if I was actually the one getting divorced. However, I did come from a divorced family, and I would not be open to remarriage and stepparenting. There is quite a bit of adjusting as well as stress associated with remarriage. In my personal opinion, its just not the way a family should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would personally get myself into that position where I am forced to get a divorce, but I think I would be open remarriage. I would not go actively seeking someone just to get remarried though. I would also be accepting to step-parenting because I would want my partner to be open to the same thing if the situation was reversed. I think that by letting the situation happen that I would not worry about the possibilities of a second divorce because I would have let the relationship happen naturally and not force it.

    ReplyDelete