Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chapter 6

Summary:

Chapter 6 is about the differences between friendships, liking, lusting, and loving a person. There are six theories to love the Biochemistry of Love, the Attachment Theory, Reiss’s Wheel Theory of Love, Sternberg’s Triangular Theory of Love, Lee Styles of Loving, and the Exchange Theory. This chapter discusses the way people should love each other and how sometime things can get in the way of love. It also talks about how people may express their feelings and the functions of love. Chapter 6 talk about what happens after the love is gone.

Interesting/Unusual Items:

I find this Chapter to be very informative. I have my own opinion on love can be judgmental but I do find this chapter useful.

Discussion:

Why is it that men and women throw the words “I Love You” around so loosely? The meaning of love no longer stands in this day and time. Is love ever enough in a relationship. When do you really stop loving someone?

4 comments:

  1. I would almost argue that it is not that love itself has changed, but rather the phrase "I love you" has changed. I would think that love itself is still as strong as ever, or rather people can still fall in love just the same as they have been able to in the past. What may have changed, however, is the use of the phrase "I love you." It seems to be thrown around much more frequently now than it has in the past.
    Karl Wahlen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people throw the term around so much it seems not to carry as much weight as it once did, at least in certain contexts. I know I say it often, often in situations undeserving of that strong of a sentiment (e.g. my declaration to my friend's mom and cousin that I loved them because they gave me the medley of water ice flavors that I had requested). As far as ceasing to love someone, I think people do that either when the other's flaws have become unbearable, or when the individual changes and is no longer compatible with his/her partner. People change and grow, and so can (and does) love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the context is obviously platonic, I don't see a problem with it at all. Language is very context-heavy, and usually people know when others are using the words "I love you" sincerely.

    People who are in a serious relationship, but do say "I love you" often, probably do so because it feels normal. Even when two people are very obviously giving nonverbal feedback and affection, the verbal feedback can be really comforting and reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would argue that part of the reason people say "I love you" more often is that they are more sensitive to the contexts in which it is said rather than the emotions that evoke it. So people seem to be saying "I love you" in situations that are merely analogous to those in which the words are truly felt. One can think of it along the lines of actors in a play -- it may be predicted in what contexts words of affection such as "I love you" will be uttered, yet we do not feel the emotions of the actors. In people's own lives, then, by knowing the proper context of the line, they can say it without ever having a genuine feeling.

    ReplyDelete