Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chapter 4

1.) Chapter 4 is titled “Racial and Ethnic Families: Strengths and Stresses.” It covers topics from diversity, ethnicity, various ethnic families, and interracial/interethnic relationships and marriages. The ethnic families that are examined are: African-American families, American Indian families, Latino families, Asian-American families, and Middle Eastern families. Each family is examined further in areas such as: family structure, gender roles, family (parents, children, grandparents/elders), health and economic well-being, and strengths.

2.) At the beginning of the chapter, undocumented immigrants are discussed. It states “many Americans believe that undocumented immigrants are ‘moochers,’” and this statement is then followed by facts that support the idea that they are not actually “moochers.” These facts were interesting to me because even though I never thought of illegal immigrants as “moochers,” I never gave much thought as to what they do not have access to because they are not citizens. Some facts that caught my attention were: (1) they aren’t eligible for welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and most other public benefits; and (2) about 75% contribute to a total of $7 billion annually in Social Security taxes and roughly $1.5 billion annually in Medicare taxes, both of which they will be unable to claim or qualify for because they are not citizens. I do have a problem with this chapter; it is mentioned twice in the chapter that whites have more privilege because of their skin color (p. 81 and p. 82). I find this to be rather prejudice. Although, “whites” are seen as the dominant group, there is still a massive amount of whites that are not as privileged as others. There are even some whites that are not as privileged as other ethnicities. It takes hard work, to gain privilege and prestige, it doesn’t matter what ethnicity you are.

3.) I’m interested in how people in class personally feel about immigrants, whether legal or illegal. I mentioned above how I had a problem with how whites are continually mentioned as being privileged because of skin color. I would like to discuss this idea in class in order to see what others think of this.

4 comments:

  1. Kazzandra,

    I am confused as to what exactly your question is. Do you want to know what our views are on immigrants? Or do you want to know why whites are privileged because of their skin color?

    -Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am rather intrigued by immigrants because I like learning about their cultures, and what their traditions are. I also do not descriminate against immigrants because my ancestors came from Europe to get a fresh start. I do not think immigrants are bad people, and I think they deserve as much opportunity as anyone else.

    During this era, I do not think whites have more opportunities or privilages due to their skin color. At one time, around the 60's and 70's the whites may have had more opportunity because they were considered the dominant class. However, they were dominant because they had more control over business, education, and politics.

    However, looking at the present time, I feel people are in the same situation. Everyone is trying to make a living and become successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as immigrants are concerned, I feel bad for them (collectively), as often, what drives a person away from his home country is something ruinous (e.g. religious persecution, lack of economic opportunities, civil war, etc.). The path to citizenship/legal immigration is difficult, so I can see why illegals ‘choose’ to bypass the process. I feel that much of the blame for illegal immigration falls to big business/the government, though.
    As for white privilege...it's obvious that people of all colors are afforded different/unequal opportunities in life. However, due to systemic discrimination [e.g. minorities historically being excluded from such things as home ownership (which is how people build wealth), (adequate) education and employment, etc.], those not of the dominant culture are, generally speaking, at a greater disadvantage from the start; i.e. one group’s advancement/place in society is possible only through another's suppression=white privilege.

    ReplyDelete