Monday, December 5, 2011

Transhumanism

I think there are more things I disagree with about transhumanism than things I support. This is the first I've heard of it as a complete topic and it sounds interesting, but sort of unwarranted and scary. For example, the idea that it's a way to reach the final goal of participant evolution is farfetched. If transhumanism forgoes the process of evolution to get to what we think is the final step and makes people mechanical superbeings, it sounds like they would stop evolution, and at some point evolution of the rest of the species would catch up and pass posthuman beings. In the section headed "Currents," few of those seem like good opinions. I think abolishing involuntary suffering would result in us not being able to grow emotionally, though in a transhuman world, emotions might not even exist, and I'd argue that's a bad thing. Anyway, suffering isn't fun, but it's an important part of life that teaches us a lot. I don't think immortalism is a desirable goal. We are already concerned with issues of overpopulation, and one thing immortalism would do is possibly push the population limit if enough people became immortal. Also, I doubt there's sufficient resources to change and sustain people indefinitely, so they would die eventually anyway. And if not by that means, than possibly by things like murder, unless I misunderstand immortalism and murder wouldn't be possible. The concept I most disagree with is that of postgenderism. Functionally, I think having genders and sex is a good thing. A better focus would be making technologies that assist with reproduction and physical gender issues rather than doing away with it all completely. How many times do people say that sex is a basic human action, like eating and sleeping. Removing gender would remove a large part of our identity. Sure having genders creates arguments, women's rights movements, other movements, discrimination, etc., but all those things help our intellectual growth. They help us see things differently and learn, and in the end, intellectual growth is a main aim of H+. I think the correct way to achieve something is by going through the steps to get there, not just skipping to the end, because doing all the steps give a strong learning experience. Things are good in minor increments and I can accept the smaller goals of transhumanism, like getting rid of the looks of old age, just not the larger or more extreme ones. By now I'm fairly confused, though I definitely want to look into this idea more.

No comments:

Post a Comment