Sunday, December 18, 2011

"Good Marriage"

What makes a marriage a “good marriage”? This is quite the question for an 18-22 year old male, but its one that I have definitely asked myself several times. Having considered marriage at one point, I found myself playing with the question. What are some qualities that everyone looks for in their relationship/marriage to someone? Honesty, trust, common goals, similar interests, differing interests, intimacy, humor, maturity, and understanding of a need for space are all qualities generally thought of when the idea of marriage arises.

Although we are all familiar with the common qualities associated with marriage, I want to offer up a different perspective on potential marriages. Perhaps I would be best to examine/gauge marriages from a more individualized point of view. What I am suggesting is that a good marriage is not defined by these stereotypical qualities. Instead it is defined by two people in a marriage being in tune with each other’s core beliefs. We are not perfect, but to have another person understand us is an extreme accomplishment and could easily make marriage much better.

This idea is supported if you think back to all those conversations older couples have hinted at. In my friend’s house, his father hung a sign that reads “Life is good. I did the right thing and married my best friend.” With this in mind, wouldn’t your best friend understand the most important things about you? So in all actuality, marrying someone who knows the things most important aspects about you could build a much stronger and better marriage with you than someone who doesn’t understand you.

What do you feel is a "good marriage"?



No comments:

Post a Comment