Friday, December 9, 2011

Technological Singularity

This is the definition I found from wiki:
"Technological singularity refers to the hypothetical future emergence of greater-than-human intelligence through technological means, very likely resulting in explosive superintelligence[1]. Since the capabilities of such intelligence would be difficult for an unaided human mind to comprehend, the occurrence of a technological singularity is seen as an intellectual event horizon, beyond which the future becomes difficult to understand or predict. Proponents of the singularity typically state an "intelligence explosion"[2][3] is a key factor of the Singularity where superintelligences design successive generations of increasingly powerful minds."
I don't think this could ever occur without the help of humans. This reminds me of the movie Irobot with Will Smith. I really don't see this as being realistic. This could affect family if we had robots that could do chores around the house that could help mothers spend more time with their families instead of worrying about chores after already working a shift.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree. I mean there have been a bunch of crazy predictions for the future (Water world, Terminator, etc) and they're all pretty crazy. It could be the same as saying that time travel will be possible. I'm not saying any if it is impossible but its just very unlikely. The truth is we will have no way of knowing until it happens. I think that there will be an intelligence boom in the near future but I also hope that if humans are going to design something like a super-intelligent product that they would know how to control it.

    ReplyDelete