Monday, December 5, 2011

New developments in medicine

Today in class the question was brought up if "we are ready to see our loved ones return?" and "are they ready to return?" after being victim of a disease like Alzheimer's. I think it is really amazing that they are developing medicine that can help with these diseases and conditions, but I am a little worried about the consequences. Many people that have been in a state that is not themselves have been that way for a very long time. Their families or loved ones may have given up on them and left them to develop their own lives. My mom's best friend's husband has Alzheimer's disease and she has put him in a facility to take care of him so that she can continue with her life in retirement. She has met a new man and plans to marry him. I would hate for anyone to come back to reality from a condition like that and realize their family has left or that they have been stagnant for years while everyone has been moving on.

2 comments:

  1. I think you're right Kelly coming back and realizing a loved one has moved on without you is a horrible thing to experience. My grandmother had Alzheimer's and passed away. For our family if she would have recovered from that it would have kept the foundation of our family strong. Losing her was a huge loss for our family and we were active in her life even when she couldn't remember her husband or grandchildren. I think it depends on the family how bringing back a person from a disease would affect the individual and the family. I think we should continue to look for ways to cure these diseases and hope that the family members of those who are ill do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you. I think the first instance sounds kind of like cast away but I also believe that is a part of human nature. We have to move on to help us cope with loss and I think that may be a reason why people do so. In the second instance I believe that it would be a good reason to bring someone back from Alzheimer disease. I think there are pros and cons to any new break through in technology that helps us live longer/prevent any disease.

    ReplyDelete