Sunday, December 18, 2011

Happily Ever After

Jay Oriola

Happily Ever After

I recently spoke with an old family friend who has been married for about 20’ish years now. She exclaimed to me repeatedly about how happy she still is. This memorized me more than I had thought. The fact that she had been married so long, yet she still has the zeal and passion she once did as a newlywed amazed me. I asked her to share what factors helped her marriage last so long. She listed 5 things to me: honesty, perseverance, communication, passion and love. I thought this was an interesting group of characteristics. Each one possesses something different that adds versatility to the pot. She explained how they were tested regarding each factor throughout their marriage and how each struggle made them stronger. Honesty kept their relationship open and reliable, because if they lacked this factor, they would be clouded with confusion. Perseverance helped them push through each struggle and obstacle to a solution each would be fine. Communication she said was the core of it all, how they conversed and how well they articulated what they wanted. Passion is the catalyst they kept their relationship alive and kicking. Finally, love she exclaimed was the foundation that all factors stood upon. The love they had and developed for each other was the key to it all.

After conversing with her, I found it interesting that she emphasized communication. A lot of problems can be dodged by simply articulating what you want and what you mean. I told her I appreciated that.

One question I pose to readers is: How would infidelity effect a marriage as successful as this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment