Tuesday, December 13, 2011

They Call It the Reverse Gender Gap

David Komorowski

They Call It the Reverse Gender Gap

In a New York Times article I came across I read that women are actually becoming men in the U.S.—by saying this I mean that the gender-gap issue of male dominance seems to be reversing. How? Within the article it stated women are getting better jobs, becoming more educated (a majority of the percentage of last year’s graduating class was women), and staying single longer and longer. This leads to a redefinition of the word “breadwinner” and changes the dynamics of gender roles in America. This brings up several things in my mind.

First, I believe that this has been occurring for the past 50 years (feminist movements) and will most likely keep continuing until the end of time. With that being said, it makes me wonder if there will ever be a time where men will need a “maculinist movement” in which they have to fight for equal rights amongst women. I don’t think this could ever occur globally because feminists have a lot of work to do in many other countries in which women are much more suppressed than in places like the United States or Europe. With that being said I have a question to pose to the class. Do feminists in the U.S. need to be here or should they focus their energy elsewhere in other countries where women cannot show their faces? I do not think we should impose our culture/way of living upon any country who doesn’t want it but if women are out there who need help I wonder if going to other areas of the world is best.

Here’s the article if anybody is interested…
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/us/14iht-letter14.html

No comments:

Post a Comment