Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Future of the Family-Careers and Family Life

I think one aspect of the family that we'll see continue to develop and increase are the couple's careers. With an increasing number of individuals seeking degrees and higher paying jobs for those who achieve this status I think it'll greatly affect the family. Things we see in families with couples who have a high paying job or even those who struggle is an enormous amount of time being spent at work and an increasing neglect of the family and it's important as a unit. A lot of couples now a days work long shifts getting home by the time their children or speaking. Other couples work the graveyard shift like my dad. My dad spends a lot of time with the family, but there are instances where he has to work on holidays or he sleeps during the day when I or my siblings want him to attend certain events or simply be awake while we're awake in order to share our days with him. A lot of parents are leaving it up to the school district to raise their children taking a backseat. Especially when kids grow older parents become less and less involved. My hope is that families will continue to spend time together and balance the time between work and quality time with the family. However, I see the family growing further apart with the increase in higher paying jobs that require a degree and on the other side of the spectrum those who are forced to work longer hours for lower paying jobs in order to support themselves and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment