Friday, December 2, 2011

Single Fathers

Today in class I found it interesting how we mainly talked about single mothers. It made me wonder if we only talked about them because they are the most common or if it is because there is a double standard for single fathers. I often think of the male's ego whenever topics like this come up and I find it interesting how many people will think of it as a weakness if a man is a single father. This reminds me of the movie Jersey Girl. As a stereotype in today's society, we often see in the media that women melt when they see a guy with a child, whether it be a baby or a child under the age of ten. If this is the case in reality, why is there this negative image associated with single fathers? Why are they barely ever discussed? I believe the fact that there are many different kinds of single mothers was brought up in class. I feel that this can also be the same for single fathers. There might be a single father who has a child because the mother was a drug addict, or perhaps a single father exists because the mother died unexpectedly. Regardless of the reason that a single father exists I think it is also important to remember them in our discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment